Sunday, August 24, 2014

"Beefy" BBQ

That's right, you heard me correctly. I love BBQ! It's complete comfort food for me. For me, it's the flavors. After living in the Kansas City (a.k.a KC) Metro for a few years, I really began to appreciate good BBQ. In KC, you have so many wonderful legendary BBQ places and to name just a few Gates BBQArthur Bryant'sOklahoma Joe's, and Jack Stack BBQ. (Also, there are many more great bbq places in KC. These are just a few that happen to be the most popular ones. If you want, do a quick Google search and you will find many more.) For more information about Kansas City BBQ and Style of BBQ, click here.

Well, I felt inspired to try to make a vegan BBQ while shopping recently at Publix. After experience KC BBQ, I found myself a bit frustrated that I couldn't find any KC brands or style BBQ sauce. I even talked out loud to myself staying, "What, no Kansas City style BBQ sauces...Where's the Gates or Arthur Bryant's..." Little did I realize, there was a Publix employee there stocking a shelf who suggested KC Masterpiece. Nothing against KC Masterpiece, but it does not hold a flame close to some of my favorite local BBQ sauce. (Yes, KC Masterpiece was found in KC over 30 years ago, but I am comparing it to other KC local sauces that are my PERSONAL favorite.) 

I was in produce and looked at the baby Bella mushrooms they had in the store. That's when the light bulb went off. "Beefy" BBQ with mushrooms! Well, ladies and gentlemen. I shall let you fan yourselves and clutch your pearls. Scandals, I know! How do you even get close to that BBQ flare, well, check out this recipe below.


"Beefy" BBQ with Mushrooms

1 package of baby bella mushrooms; can buy pre-cut to save time
1 package of Boca crumbles or other fake meat crumbles of choice. You will use half of the bag.
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
Garlic powder
Onion, or if out of fresh, use onion powder
Pinch of salt
Your favorite bbq blend of seasoning -I used a few Penzeys spices I have
Liquid Smoke, several good dashes (yes it's vegan)
Your favorite hamburger buns, toppings your like on your bbq such as pickles, onions, french fries even.
 

First, get your saute pan/pot HOT!!! Yes, I said hot. We are cooking this with no oil....SAY WHAT! Fact, one tablespoon of oil equals 120 calories of pure fat. It is possible to cook all food without oil. Here's a great video from Youtube, on how to do this without oil. Meanwhile waiting for your hot pan, dice your mushrooms if you did not buy them pre-cut. After you get your pan hot and mushrooms diced, you can test the heat level out by dropping a little water into it. If the water quickly sizzles up, it's ready. Add your mushrooms into your pan and season your mushrooms. This is when you add several dashes of liquid smoke. It's what kicks it up a notch. Make sure you stir it up little bit to help it cook even.


Your mushrooms naturally release water while they are cooking, but if they begin to stick, add a small amount of water to the pan to prevent the sticking. Cook and stir the mushrooms for minimum 5 minutes. You are watching for the water to release and the mushrooms to cook down. Once they have reduced, add the Boca crumbles. You are going to use about half of the bag. After about a minute or so, add your BBQ sauce and stir.
After this point your want to start warming up your hamburger buns. I usually warm mine up in the toaster oven for a small amount of time to just warm the bread. I don't want it to be toast. After the "beefy"mushroom mix has had a chance to warm all the way through, plate and enjoy your yummy creation. I plated mine below with homemade french fries and a pickle. Yum, Yum!

I hope you have enjoy this yummy food post. Please comment if you tried this out. I loved to get your feed back on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment