Sunday, October 19, 2014

Vegan Chipotle Seitan Tofu Scramble

One of Monster's favorite things to eat for breakfast when he was consuming them was eggs. Since becoming vegans, he hasn't. When we discovered tofu scrambles, he was hooked. Personally, I am not an egg person by nature. I never care for the taste or smell (Yes, the smell). I promised to make him tofu scramble for his birthday...6 months ago and well....life happened and I didn't make it. Better later than never, RIGHT!

So I got up yesterday and make him this amazing chipotle seitan tofu scramble. It was packed with yummy veggies and tons of protein. I'm normal not a huge lover of a tofu scramble simply because I feel the tofu taste like tofu. I don't normal pick up on seasonings in it but today I did. I added from Sweet Earth, their chipotle style sliced seitan.  Holy boomerangs Batman, it was tasty!

Vegan Chipotle Seitan Tofu Scramble

  • Diced red onion (about 1/2 cup diced)
  • 1/2 of a green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 4-6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced thin
  • 1 huge handful of spinach
  • 4 cloves of garlic, diced
  • dash of salt and pepper
  • 1 block of organic firm tofu, pressed, drained, and then mashed 
  • turmeric, to taste
  • nutritional yeast, to taste
  • Tamari or Braggs' liquid aminos, to taste
First, start of with draining and pressing the tofu and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Here's a great how to video about it. While the tofu is pressing, chop and dice the peppers, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Next heat a pan and saute the garlic, onion, mushrooms, peppers, and spinach. Make sure you place the mushrooms down in the pan first because mushrooms release water while you are sauteing. Meanwhile diced your tomato. Grab a mixing bowl and begin to crumble the tofu. Mash the tofu with a fork or I used a potato masher to get the consistence you like. Add you seasoning of salt pepper, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and liquid aminos. Mix it together.Your tofu should look yellow, like an egg. Fold into the scramble the seitan, sauteed veggies, and tomato. Scoop the mixture then into your baking dish. I used my pie pan. Cover your pan with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes covered. After 15 minutes, remove the over and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes. Remove it from the oven, plate, and Enjoy!!  Happy Cooking everyone! I'm off to my brother-in-laws to watch some football and grill with the family. Say what!! Yes grill time- I'll write a post about it for you as well later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment