Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Haitian Pikliz

If there is one thing I love that I have gotten addicted to eating from working with an office with people predominately from the Caribbean, is this magical pickled cabbage called Pikliz (picklese). Pikliz, as described by one of my good friends, who happens to be Haitian, is picked cabbage or Haitian Coleslaw. Whenever anyone in the office goes to the Haitian restaurant down the street, we all have one huge request, bring back the pikliz and lots!

It all started about 5 days ago in the kitchen when I went to the store and got several scotch bonnet peppers, I got the urge to try my art at pikliz. I already had broccoli slaw in the fridge at home and figured it would work as an okay substitute. Well, my dear friend I mention above probably rolled her eyes at me when I told her on the phone I made it without cabbage. I am happy to report after 5 days in the fridge, it turned out amazing. Below is the recipe I followed. I used actually 1 whole lime instead of half. I just love lime. Here's how I used the pikliz for my lunch today. I had rice and peas with jerked tofu, topped with the pikliz and a diced tomato.  Enjoy!


How to make Haitian Pikliz
Link to the blog entry on how to make pikliz from the Caribbean Pot

1 comment:

  1. You have done a great work really. A lots of efforts behind this.

    More information visit our site pikliz recipe

    ReplyDelete