Saturday, September 20, 2014

Vegan Guava Banana Bread

Wow, it has been a busy past week. I see since launching this blog, we have readers from across the WORLD!!! This makes me super excited. So Hello to my readers across the USA, France and Poland! Thank you so much for reading.

So Guava...Guava is one of my favorite fruits from the islands. Have you ever had a Cuban Guava pastry? Omg, it's amazing. Guava Jelly is sweet and tangy! I was introduced to these treats years ago when I first came on vacation to South Florida and have been addicted since. Well, fast forward, I'm now following a plant strong vegan diet and these pastries are usually covered in an egg wash or sometimes filled with cheese. When we moved back down here 2 years ago, I was craving for guava pastries but did not have the stuff to make my own pastry dough. I had however everything else for banana bread. I said to myself why not give it a try. I am happy to report this was my greatest spark of genius and I am going to share my recipe with you. At every party and work function, it is a popular request. I am even baking some in the near future as a care package item for my dear friends in Georgia soon.

Vegan Guava Banana 


1 3/4 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of banana puree (3 to 4 banana mashed/blended)
1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of allspice
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 of a cup honey, maple syrup, or sugar  ** you can even use date paste if you want**
pinch of salt
1 long piece cut off from the Guava Jelly bar, that is cut on the length of the bar-such brands like Goya found in your Latin food isle

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

First you need to make/mix the wet ingredients. Place three to four banana in blender with the almond milk and vanilla extract. Blend until it is all mixed together.

Next, mix all the dry ingredients-the flour, baking powder and soda, allspice, salt, and cinnamon together. Then add the banana puree into the mix. Mix the batter until it is a smooth and combined.  Pour  2/3 of the mixture into your bread pan. Next, take your guava jelly bar and cut a long piece of the jelly running length side of the bar. Add your piece on top of the batter in your pan.
Pour all the remaining mix on top of  it.  Now, for an extra kick and my personal secret, sprinkle lightly sugar  on top of the mix. Place it in the oven and cook for 45-50 minutes or until you stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean. ~Enjoy~ Happy Baking~

No comments:

Post a Comment